Saturday, August 21, 2010

Handing over control on the flight deck (cockpit). What words are used ?

I have heard that in an airliner cockpit, one pilot is ';flying'; and the other is ';nonflying'; at any given moment. What words do they use in the cockpit to hand over control so as to avoid confusion? Are these words standardised throughout aviation ?Handing over control on the flight deck (cockpit). What words are used ?
As you can tell from all the answers, there's quite a difference between companies and, between different branches of military. Most of the time, the terminology is selected by some chief pilot who is convinced his idea is the last word in aviation safety and has the VP of Flight Ops similarly convinced...at any rate, most of the carriers I flew for used: ';You have control'; and ';I have control'; Fly for a different company and you'll probably hear something different. The important thing though is that whichever phrase is used, it should be, for the sake of safety, unambiguous and uncomplicated.....good qualities in both the cockpit and the operating room.Handing over control on the flight deck (cockpit). What words are used ?
At the airline that I worked for (not a major airline), the standard phraseology was for the original flying pilot to say ';You have control'; with the original non-flying pilot responding ';I have control'; once she takes control of the aircraft.





This was also the phrasing which was used during my training. While I can't speak for other airlines or flight operations outside of Canada, something along those lines seems to be pretty standard stuff.





This information would not pose a security threat if known to the public. If a terrorist wanted control of an aircraft, they are likely not going to ask politely or use standard phrasing in order to obtain it.





Cheers,


James Ball


Author of ';So, You Want to be a Pilot, Eh? - A Guidebook for Canadian Pilot Training';


http://www.piloteh.com


http://www.piloteh.blogspot.com
from the show Jetstream on Discovery channel Canada. instructors and students say to each other ';I have Control'; (Instructor) and the Student Responds/Confirms that the Instructor has control by saying ';You Have Control.'; of course this could change in Commercial (passenger) aviation, depending on the pilot's preferences and the airline standards.
flying pilot: ';you got controls';


confirm handover: ';I got controls';
Whatever is said, it's something that's unmistakable so there's no confusion.





Formally, it's ';You have control';, acknowledged by ';I have control';. Sometimes it's ';Your controls';, followed by ';My controls';, or with pilots who know each other it can be ';You got it'; and ';Okay, I've got it!';. Or even ';You want to drive?'; and ';Okay, I'm driving . . .';





With the tandem two seater, we use the formal phraseology, followed by a slight control movement by the ';incoming'; pilot so the pilot handing over knows that the other has truly got the message and has hands on.
On the other hand, when the flight deck is not crammed full of armed terrorists, most crews say, ';Wake up, Tom;'; or ';You got it;'; or something along those lines.





The reply may be something like, ';Okay;'; or ';I got it;'; or just a nod. You get to where you can hear each other thinking, after a while.
I fly


You fly





it works well even in the multinational crews.
One company that flys Short SC7 Skyvans in Northern Canada has the following phaseology in their SOPs.





';Do you want to drive?';





';Sure I'll drive.';
--Not standardized.


--Not in the AIM.


--Different with each company.





';360 degrees, flight level two zero zero. You have the controls.';





';360 degrees, flight level two zero zero. I have the controls.';





Some don't include assigned heading, assigned altitude, and assigned airspeed information. Some say ';have control'; insteads of ';have the controls.'; Some have the pilot giving control repeat ';You have the controls'; afterward.
The FAA recommends the following procedure





Source Pilot: ';You have the aircraft';. Maintains control of the aircraft





New Pilot: ';I have the aircraft';. Takes hold of the aircraft controls.





Source Pilot: ';You have the aircraft';. Releases controls





This is what the teach student private pilots. Not sure what the procedure is for the big planes, but it probably based on this.
I think they say ';you have control'; and reply with ';I have control'; Or so I was told at college by an Ex Air Force member.
In the US Air Force 30 years ago, the terminology was ';You have the aircraft.'; The response was ';Roger, I have the aircraft'; followed by a slight twitch on the stick to confirm.
The SOP at one place I worked was ';Your Controls'; and ';My Controls';.
Yes. One states, YOU HAVE CONTROL the receiver states, I HAVE CONTROL. It must be remembered that this is recorded on the cockpit voice recorder, in case of any problems further into the flight.
When handing over control of the airplane so there is no confusion as to who has control, the person flying says ';Your airplane';, the person taking control acknowledges by saying ';My airplane';. This is especially important in an airplane that has front-to-back seating where you can not see the other person, as in a side-by-side cockpit.
Probably, ';Take it, Joe, I've got to go to the toilet.'; Or, ';Take it, Joe, I'm going to check out that new stewardess.';
Reading this, they seem to be different everywhere. The way I learned it:





Pilot transferring controls: ';Fly heading 340, maintain 8000 feet, your controls';


Pilot receiving controls: ';My controls';





The pilot gets the controls back by saying ';my controls';
';Here, you 'ave a go, I'm goin' for a brew.
There are code words used and they vary from airline to airline. These procedures are Highly classified in order to prevent hijacks, and terrorism.





These are security issues and I hope no one is stupid enough to share them in a public forum such as this.





No disrespect is intended. Just a word of truth and caution.

No comments:

Post a Comment